What You Need to Know about Medicare Supplement Insurance

by Narna
(San Antonio, TX)

Medicare Supplement Insurance

Medicare Supplement Insurance

My parents are on Medicare, but until my mom had a procedure I didn't realize the Medicare didn't pay for everything. As a matter of fact, Medicare Part A pays for some hospital insurance coverage, but not everything.


The same goes for Medicare Part B, medical insurance. Medicare Part B pays up to 80% after deductible, but that leaves 20% of costs not covered. Twenty cents on the dollar may not seem like much to people, but when you're dealing with a hospital bill in the tens of thousands of dollars, it can amount to a big deal.

I encouraged my parents to visit their insurance agent to find out about Medicare supplement insurance. Think of supplement insurance as "filling in the gaps" not provided by Medicare coverage.

I found out that some of the most popular supplement insurance policies helped to take care of co-payments for hospitalization, pay for coverage over the 365 "allowable" days, as well as helping to take care of co-payments on doctors bills and services, prescription coverage, deductibles, and more. Check into Medigap benefits.

Since June 2010, approximately ten Medigap plans have gone into effect and provide a variety of benefits, co-insurance or co-payment options as well as payment toward deductibles, excess charges, and even preventive care. Saving money these days is a big deal, and Medicare supplement insurance can help.

Comments for What You Need to Know about Medicare Supplement Insurance

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 04, 2015
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Medicare Supplement Insurance - Thought Medicare Took Care of Everything
by: Maria

Thank you for this blog. I, like many of my friends, thought Medicare covered everything. I am just now beginning to explore options for my parents. Like they say, information is power, and I need to inform myself so that I can make the right decisions regarding their health care coverage.

Feb 04, 2015
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Medicare Supplement Insurance
by: Cindy

Medicare supplement plans are available from major health insurance carriers and it's relatively easy to compare plans, benefits, and costs.

We took the time to find the best rates that provide the best coverage depending for our personal situation or scenario. We even asked our agent for some suggestions.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Senior Insurance.


Home | Site Map | About | Contact | Privacy Policy | Disclosure

© Copyright evSky Incorporated 2008-2018 | All Rights Reserved


Eldercare for

Aging Parents

Are you having a difficult time with being the "Caregiver" for Mom and Dad?

Click Here to Read What Others are Saying and Leave a Comment About Your Own Experiences....

Or Start your Own Discussion Page!

Recent Articles

  1. My Brother Broke a Verbal Agreement for Transfer of Ownership of my Moms Car

    Jul 20, 18 01:42 PM

    I have been taking care of my elderly mother at my home in California since December 2017. She has had several medical issues while in my care including

    Read More

  2. I Thought Slavery was Abolished!!

    Jul 19, 18 09:57 AM

    My mom has been abusive life long. My earliest for me memory was of her chasing me through the house while everyone was at School beating me ( I was 3)

    Read More

  3. I Got So Spoiled

    Jul 19, 18 09:49 AM

    My mom lives with us and I am her caretaker. She is 85 years old and has some mobility issues and is showing some early signs of dementia although she

    Read More